Cycling along the river Weser is an extremely enjoyable pastime but every now and again, a break is an excellent idea. If your legs are starting to tire, you can relax and recharge your batteries on a boat trip across the Weser, which also enables you to discover the gems that the region has to offer on the other side of the water. A number of the ferry services on the Weser not only transport bicycles, but also cars, meaning that drivers can also enjoy a change of perspective and explore the other side of the river.
If you want to enjoy an exciting experience that is also historically significant, you should be sure to cross the Weser on a reaction ferry, a traditional ferryman’s solution that uses nothing but the current of the water to float from one side of the river to the other.
Below you will find a list of all of the ferries that currently operate in the Weser Uplands. The operating times are approximate times and may vary according to the ferry and day in question. Some trips may be cancelled during maintenance periods. For the latest information on ferry operating times, please contact the companies by telephone using the numbers listed below.
- Hemeln-Veckerhagen: car and passenger ferry, current operating times available at www.fähre-veckerhagen.de/Home/Zeiten
- Oberweser-Oedelsheim reaction ferry: May-Sept.: Fri., Sat., Sun. and public holidays: from 10am-6pm. The reaction ferry was built in 1997. It can hold two cars and only operates during the summer months.
- Wahlsburg (Lippoldsberg district): Märchenfähre Lippoldsberg fairy-tale ferry; operating times: 15th March to 31st October: Mon.-Fri.: 7am-6pm, Sat.: 8am-6pm, Sun.: 8am-6pm; contact: Gemeindeverwaltung (local council), Am Mühlbach 15, 37194 Wahlsburg, Germany; tel.: +49 5572 93780, fax: +49 5572 987827, e-mail: Gemeinde@Wahlsburg.de
- Beverungen (Herstelle-Würgassen district): passenger ferry (reaction ferry); first mentioned in 1432; operator: Beverungen Town Council; operating times: May-Sept.: daily from 8am-6pm
- Beverungen (Wehrden district): passenger ferry (reaction ferry); first mentioned in 1875; operator: Beverungen Town Council; operating times: May-Sept.: daily from 10am-6pm
- Heinsen ferry (foot passengers and bicycles): 1st April to 23rd June: Thursday and Friday: 2pm to 7pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 7pm; 24th June to 3rd August: Wednesday to Friday: 2pm to 7pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 7pm; 4th August to 2nd October: Friday: 2pm to 6pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 6pm
- Polle car and passenger ferry: operating since 1905, operator: the 4th generation of the Winter family, tel.: +49 5535 8416, operating times: all year round, April to December: Monday to Friday: 6:30am to 7pm, Saturday: 8am to 7pm, Sunday and public holidays: 10am to 6pm. Different opening hours apply from January to March.
- Grave solar-powered ferry (foot passengers and bicycles): 2nd April to 30th April, 15th September to 2nd October: Monday to Friday: 2pm to 6pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 6pm; 1st May to 14th September: Monday to Friday: 2pm to 8pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 8pm
- Emmerthal (Grohnde district): car and passenger ferry, located directly at the Grohnde ferry house, in operation since 1633, operator: municipality of Emmerthal, ferryman: D. Borchers, operating times: 01.04.-30.11.: 9am-12pm and 1pm-6pm. The reaction ferry in Grohnde was built in around 1930. It only operates during the summer months and transports cyclists, foot passengers and up to three cars.
- Hessisch Oldendorf-Großenwieden Weserfähre Großenwieden, Hauptstrasse 51, 31840 Hessisch Oldendorf, Germany: tel.: +49 5152 2856, operating times: 1st April to 30th October: 9am-7pm, lunch break: 12-12:30pm; 1st November to 15th December: 10am-4pm; 16th December to 14th February: winter break, no operation! 15th February to 30th March: 10am-4pm
- Varenholz-Veltheim: passenger and bicycle ferry, beginning of April to end of October, operates from 10am to 6pm on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays. Groups can also use the ferry outside of the normal operating hours by registering via telephone in advance on: +49 5264 6440.